Skip to main content

Imagine

Imagine you are outside in a field where there are interesting views from all angles.  Heading in any direction you find something appealing that lures you forward, but inevitably you come up against a wall.  There's no way around the wall, and attempting to scale the wall would obviously involve subjecting yourself to much pain and possible dismemberment.  You eventually try all the paths that lead only to walls.  A few times you even scaled a wall, with great harm to oneself, only to find upon reaching the top of the wall, that there was a cliff on the other side with a bottomless pit beneath.  You spend nearly your whole life exploring these walls.
Finally, you notice a small stream of people following a path that seems to go somewhere.  The only thing attracting them is a light.  You follow the path, and you discover to your complete amazement that the path continues beyond all the walls.  A whole new world lays before you.  The path itself has some ups and downs, and for the most part seems to be headed up a mountain.  However, there is everything you need along the way to continue the journey, and the companionship of your fellow travelers is more edifying than any of the former attractions that dead-ended into walls.

After some time on the way toward the light, you see a few people turning back.  You ask them why.  They share stories of their lives with you similar to what you experienced among the walls.  They have remembered loved ones who are not on the way with them and they want to go back and tell them of this path that actually goes somewhere.

You join them because you have loved ones too with whom you want to share news of the new way.  You go back among the walls and everything seems different.  The same attractions are there, but they no longer lure you.  And yet, you can see people putting all their effort into scaling these deathly walls.  You begin to tell others of the little path that leads toward the light.  No-one pays much attention.  They are too attracted to the walls to pay much attention.  Most people tell you "oh yea, I've looked at that path.  There's nothing there.  It's just open space.  Only a simpleton would go that way."

That's what amazes you.  The little path toward the light provides an opening out of the death trap of walls into a whole new world filled with life and happiness, and yet so many people think it's 'nothing.'

Before you leave the death-laden walls again, you manage to persuade a few friends to come with you.  You walk toward the light.  Again you enter the new world of light and life.  You never look back.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred-Self and Beloved-Other

Just as I believe in the Sacred-Self, I also believe in the Beloved-Other (the "I-Thou" relationship).  I don't think it's necessary to eliminate "otherizing" people we perceive as different from ourselves.  I believe seeing the other as "other" is fine.  If you have embraced your own Sacred-Self, (i.e. if you have been Loved and know that your are Loved, you are a Beloved), then it is within your self-concept to perceive the other as the Beloved Other.  Now, I know the "if" in "if you have been Loved" is a huge if!  It sometimes seems fewer and fewer people in this world are experiencing unconditional Love in their formative years.  So maybe fewer and fewer people know the Love I'm talking about.  So many people today are trying to re-invent the wheel of Love.  Some who know Love think we need new ideas or teaching about Love.  I don't think we need a newly constructed idea of Love or empathy or tolerance; what we ...

Together We Sing: Here I Am, Lord!

I love playing for Mass because I love offering myself to the Lord through music (which is an avenue of great, deep, and beautiful intimacy), AND because I love to, at least in some small way, aid others in their worship, in their hearts and minds, and all of us together as Christ's Body, Christ's Bride. One of my favorite experiences in accompanying the Cantor when singing the Psalms is when I hear the congregation respond w/ one voice, one healthy and whole voice.  By "healthy and whole" I don't mean that we don't have our troubles, but that I can hear in the people's voice together an authentic giving of the Self to the Lord.  I can hear individual voices and I can hear the blending of the voices.  I can hear each singer choosing to lift their voice to the Lord.  And when we're at our best, it seems to me to also convey our willingness to do this meeting-the-Lord WITH each other.  Too often I hear critics of Catholic liturgy bemoaning the fact th...

Cathartic Complexity

It's one of those days when I want layers of music to accompany my writing.  I currently have Dave Brubeck on in the back-ground ( Time Out ), and Cliburn via Grooveshark on my laptop , with Ballad in Blue (featuring Ray Charles ) via the tv in another room! Somehow, all this "layering" has a calming effect.  It's as if I have several musical and emotional needs, and in having them all anchored, (even if some more so than others), in these various degrees on listening, my mind is freed to concentrate on my thoughts. Catering to this way of "anchoring" through means that others might find distracting, I find there is also a purging component.  It's almost as if the music is a tap for my musical-desires.  Without finding some expression, there is too much pressure w/in, making it difficult to do anything.  So, allowing part of my mind/heart "express itself" through passive listening to multiple sources, it's as though I've turne...