Skip to main content

Jazz and Ginger


I am simply "wired" for music.  It is as if I wake up once music is sounding (whether I'm listening or playing), especially if it's piano music.  Right now I'm listening to Dave Brubeck's album Time Out.  I love it.  To me, this is Perfect Jazz.  Classy, swingy, lots of threads juxtaposed or intertwined.  I sometimes think that if Bach had been born in the 20th century, he would be Brubeck!  Ha!  I'm so glad the world has both of them!

How often do you love every track on an album.  I've never met a Brubeck composition/performance I didn't love.  But that's how I tend to be.  If I am entranced by a book, I'll likely love everything that author has written, and then I'll read everything that author has written!  If I'm enchanted by one painting, I'll tend to love all of that artist's work.  And so it goes.

I've had respected mentors who have told me I am too much "all-or-nothing."  For a time, I believed them and tried to work on being more moderate or "balanced."  By now I know that's just how I am; that IS my balance!  And really, why should I be any different?  Why?  Really?  Does the world actually need everyone to be moderates?  I'm pretty sure God is delighted with variety, so some of us are going to be sweet, sour, salty, bitter, or savory, and some of us spicy!  I think I might be a curry that features ginger: complex, goes well with lots of things, but while it has a distinctive taste, it can vary from time to time and place to place.

If you were an herb or spice, which one would you be?  I'd love to know.  And tell me why, in the comments.  


Photo credit: from Whole Health Insider  http://www.wholehealthinsider.com/newsletter/salt-free-salt-blends/ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muselet Make-over

Dear Reader, I decided to re-activate this blog, and I've added AdSense.  This is an experiment to see how AdSense works on a blogger.com blog.  I had to pick a blog that I've had running for 6 months or more, and one on which I post mostly original content.  I use so many of my other blogs on Blogger as storage for my favorite things, so this one seemed the best candidate for AdSense. I've also changed the "theme" for the Muselet.  I hope you like it!  I find it more attractive, easier to read, and has a flexible format so it works better on mobile devices; at least I think it does!  Let me know what you think! BTW, I hope to post somewhere between once-a-day to once-a-week.  Let me know how often you think is "just right"! Thanks for reading!  I hope to hear from you! ~ Muse

Sacred-Self and Beloved-Other

Just as I believe in the Sacred-Self, I also believe in the Beloved-Other (the "I-Thou" relationship).  I don't think it's necessary to eliminate "otherizing" people we perceive as different from ourselves.  I believe seeing the other as "other" is fine.  If you have embraced your own Sacred-Self, (i.e. if you have been Loved and know that your are Loved, you are a Beloved), then it is within your self-concept to perceive the other as the Beloved Other.  Now, I know the "if" in "if you have been Loved" is a huge if!  It sometimes seems fewer and fewer people in this world are experiencing unconditional Love in their formative years.  So maybe fewer and fewer people know the Love I'm talking about.  So many people today are trying to re-invent the wheel of Love.  Some who know Love think we need new ideas or teaching about Love.  I don't think we need a newly constructed idea of Love or empathy or tolerance; what we